Burn Permits logo

Lunenburg Fire Department Burn Permits

Apply for your online permit today.

Department Logo or Badge

Don't forget to call!

Telephone: (978) 785-9968

Burning is allowed, but use caution and monitor fire closely. Light fuels in open, sunny areas will ignite easily and may spread rapidly.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can obtain a burn permit?

Residents of Lunenburg may obtain Open Burning Permits. Permits are conditional and may be revoked at any time.

How can I obtain a burn permit?

You may register online using this website (best method), or you can visit us in person at the Station Monday-Saturday from 8am-4pm.

What can I burn?

You are allowed to burn: 1. Brush, cane, driftwood and forestry debris up to 4 inches in diameter. 2. Agricultural materials including fruit tree and bush prunings, raspberry stalks, and infected bee hives for disease control. 3. Trees and brush from agricultural land clearing (Not Commercial or industrial land clearing) YOU MAY NOT BURN: Leaves, grass, hay, leaves, stumps, construction or demolition debris, Household trash including cardboard or tires. Debris from commercial land clearing is also not allowed. (ie. clearing house/building lots)

Do I need a permit?

Most open burning will require a permit. Simple, well contained cooking fires DO NOT require a permit, however it is recommended to notify the Fire Department as a courtesy so as to prevent false alarms.

When is Open Burning Allowed?

Open Burning is from January 15th through May 1st, from 10am-4pm each day, except when banned due to High Fire Danger or Atmospheric Conditions.

Is there a cost for the Permit?

the Town of Lunenburg does not charge for Regular and Agricultural Burning Permits. They are free.

How do I get an Agricultural Permit?

Agricultural Permits have special requirements and are not available to the general public. The permit can be registered for online, but the applicant will need to meet with the Fire Department in person to confirm they meet the requirements.

I'm having trouble creating a permit or accessing the website?

The Burning Permit website does not work well with older browsers. We have found it to be compatible with browsers such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari. It DOES NOT work with Internet Explorer. If you cannot access the Internet through a newer browser, you can come to the Station to create your permit Monday-Saturday 8am-4pm.

What are the State Requirements for an Agricultural Burning Permit?

MassDEP has stated that agriculture, for the purpose of 310 CMR 7.07, means those practices involved with the cultivation of soil for purposes of crop production and/or the raising of livestock when such crops are produced for commercial food stocks and such livestock is raised for commercial food stuff or for work purposes. Agricultural operations are those that raise commercial food stuff or livestock and consist of an area larger than one acre of land. Regulation 310 CMR 7.07 (3)(b) specifies that open burning is allowed for activities associated with the normal pursuit of agriculture which have been determined by the Department as necessary. This includes, but is not limited to, the open burning of blueberry patches for pruning, dead raspberry stocks, fruit tree pruning and affected beehives for disease control. Regulation 310 CMR 7.07 (3)(c) allows open burning of brush and trees resulting from agricultural land clearing operations. Agricultural Burning Permits must follow the same regulations/rules as regular Open Burning, but are allowed to burn throughout the year.